Wednesday, 16 April 2008

If I could sing.... Forever Autumn

Hmmm... I like this song but I've noticed that most of the songs I've picked have been love songs of one form or another. In love, out of love, want love. I'd better be careful as I'll get a reputation of being some sort of romantic wishy washy sensitive guy. Excuse me while I go google some power tools for a moment...


OK back now. Man you should see the new Black and Decker range... wow!


Todays song would be in the later half of my set list. It is Forever Autumn by the Moody Blues and is also very prominent in Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds double album.

Here is a video from the live concert of War of the Worlds.


Here are the lyrics:
The summer sun is fading as the year grows old,
and darker days are drawing near,
the winter winds will be much colder,
now you're not here.
I watch the birds fly south across the autumn sky
and one by one they disappear
I wish that I was flying with them,
now you're not here

like the sun through the trees you came to love me
like a leaf on a breeze you blew away

through autumn's golden gown we used to kick our way
you always loved this time of year
loose fallen leaves lie undisturbed now
cos you're not here x 3

like the sun through the trees you came to love me
like a leaf on a breeze you blew away

a gentle rain falls softly on my weary eyes
as if to hide a lonely tear
my life will be forever autumn
cos you're not here x 6
I remember way back in the 70's (or was it early 80's?) on Friday nights when Hudson and Hall was on TV and I didn't enjoy that, so over four weeks I listened to this double LP. One side per night. After I'd finished it was time for Dukes of Hazzard. This song stood out to me then and I enjoy hearing it every time it has played since then. The imagery of the fading summer and the idea that the continual fading death of autumn is going to keep on happening to him cos' your not here. At least in winter, while cold it is recover mode and preparation for the new life that spring brings. Autumn is just fading and dieing.

The basic plot is that the guy has lost his girl. In the context of War of the Worlds she is on the run from Martians. Out of that context maybe she died or has just left the guy.

Please also note the englishness. It is Autumn not Fall. The word autumn just sounds better than Fall. My life will be forever faaaallll - doesn't work.

No comments: