Thursday, 21 August 2008

Shall I put some music on for you?

I work for an organsiation that as part of it's many services has a geriatric hospital.

Often I have to go over there and they have CD's playing and today there was even a concert with live musicians. (better than a concert with zombie musicians I suppose). The music they play is of course of the "golden oldies" genre. i.e. anything that is from, or sounds like it is from, around 70 years ago.

So I wonder.... what is the music going to be like in these geriatric homes in 40 to 50 years time?

I can imagine it now, the nurse comes up to me, makes sure I'm securely in my chair and not about to fall out. and asks ever so nicely. "shall I put some music on for you? Would you like a nice bit of AC/DC - maybe some Metallica - would you like U2 instead? That would be nice wouldn't it?"

Then the grandkids come in to visit their old poppa, and behind his back roll their eyes at the dreary music.

No comments: