Friday, 7 March 2008

Caffinated Beverages

Mmmmm coffee.

Well actually yuck blurgh coffee. Don't like the taste of the stuff. It has a great smell, I could smell it for hours on end (and often have) but when it comes around to the taste - no thanks.

Ditto tea. Don't like the taste of that either.

In fact overall I'm not a fan of hot drinks, when I do go out for "coffee" or such I'll have a white hot chocolate or a hot blackcurrant, no mocca-chino-frappa-latte for me thanks.

But I do have a way of getting that caffeine fix. Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and V . mmm V. Love the stuff.

For those not in NZ... V is your basic caffeinated "energy" fruit drink. But they don't call it caffeine they call it guarana (which is caffeine). It has as much caffeine in it as a strong cup of coffee and costs a dollar less for a bottle.

I'd have a bottle of that a day, at lunch, every day of the week. It kept me bouncing, awake and alert for the afternoon. Around 4:30 though it starts to wears off and you can really feel the drag.

For lent though I decided to give up caffeinated beverages.

The first week days were tough, tired, sleepy and headaches, and ended up with a migraine. Once I detoxified my body started to adjust to the changes and I'm amazed.

For starters I'm falling asleep at night quickly and staying asleep. I used to go to bed at 11:30ish and not fall asleep, maybe 1 or 2 hours would go by before I'd drop off, and then I'd be restless for the night before the cursed alarm goes off at 7:35 am.

Well now I go to bed 10:30, fall asleep by at least 11 and the majority of the time wake up with the alarm at 7 the next morning (and boy am I busting to go...).

I am getting less headaches overall, can cope with the afternoons, not falling asleep in front of the TV in the evenings (as much).

In fact... I think that after lent I might just stay on the no caffeinated drinks policy. Maybe the odd Coke or Mountain Dew now and again. Life is just a biot better that's all.

And I'm saving $17.50 a week.

No comments: