Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Internet arguments


I nearly got dragged into another argument on the internet today. I've been taking part in usenet, email discussion lists, forums and blog comment discussions since 1996. (Over over a decade!).

I've seen people change, but it hasn't come about through one craftily worded email/post (or even 10). It has taken years. Sometimes in the discussions the people have not changed position but they have come to understand each other better and it's not a big deal anymore.

So today, this guy on a forum posts something unsubstantiated, I call him on it and he replies I'm sorry you feel that way. Umm feel that way ?I called you on the facts on emotions. And as I'm getting ready to craft my reply and thus end up late for work, the last 10 years strikes me. What I say and how I say it is not going to change this guys mind. His unsubstantiated comment is based solidly in his world-view. I'll tell him the facts later, yeah for sure, but I'm not going to change the opinion until the person has been changed. Don't get all worked up in the arguments and discussions.

So all you internet newbies (or is it noobs you wipper-snappers call each other?) all these arguments - get over it, listen, learn and take the time to changes them, not the arguments. And to change a person it takes a friend not a logical diatribe.

No comments: