Monday, 22 December 2008

12 songs of Christmas - song 11

One Small Child - David Meece

This is my favourite Christmas song (Christmas carols are a different thing...).

David wrote this when he was 14 - I know this because when I told him I loved the song after a concert he told me. OK all you 14 year olds - listen up - can you do better?! I know I can and I'm (slightly) older than 14.

I could not find an original or decent cover of this on youtube so I rushed this video together.



One small child in a land of a thousand.
One small dream of a savior tonight.
One small hand reaching out to the starlight.
One small savior of life. Ooh.

One king bringing his gold and riches.
One king ruling and army of might.
One king kneeling with incense and candlelight.
One king bringing us life. Ooh.

(chorus)
See Him lying, a cradle beneath Him.
See Him smiling in the stall.
See His mother praising the Father.
See His tiny eyelids fall.
See the shepherds kneeling before Him.
See the kings on bended knee.
See the mother praising the Father.
See the blessed infant sleep.

One small child in a land of a thousand.
One small dream of a savior tonight.
One small hand reaching out to the starlight.
One small savior of life.


I get chills, and my heart gets pumping when I hear this song. I love the thought that the hand that cast the stars into space is here a tiny wee hand reaching out to the starlight.

The many kings, Herod with his army of might, the wise men giving gifts but all in all the center of the event is this King of Kings.

Excuse me while I go listen to this a few more times...


By the way I'd have to say that I hate Rebecca St James version.

No comments: