Sunday, 14 December 2008

12 Songs of Christmas - song 3

(I've just woken up from a sleep to help get rid of a migraine, I'm able to concentrate enough to get this out while it is still the correct day so please forgive the shortness and if it gets incoherent and not well spelt)

Song 3 of the 12 songs of Christmas.

Little Drummer boy.

Todays song is performed by Whteheart - little drummer boy - with real drums.



At any other time then when my brain is not trying to escape out through my temples... this version just rocks and I love it. My first memory of this is from my first Christmas as a Christan.

Ok so about the song itself...

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.


On one hand you have this song exemplifying the principle of the Widows Mite. The widow had nothing yet she gave what she could give. This was praised by Jesus in contrast to the religious leaders of the day who were gave only a portion of their great wealth - she gave all she had. The drummer boy is poor and had nothing to give in terms of wealth so he gave his skills and talents. We can do that in these times of economic recession and downturn. We can give our skills and talents to ease the load of those who are also burdened. And this (from Romans) is a spiritual act of worship.

On the other hand.....



What a narcissistic little brat!

Please, please PLEASE won't someone think of the mother!

Mary had just given birth, A whole bunch of smelly shepherds come to visit and she has a new born baby to care for, it's in a manger as they have no other place to stay.

Along comes a well meaning boy, who says nice kid can I bang my drum really loudly?

To all the parents of newborns, or even those under a year old. What would you say...?

Maybe the Catholics are right and Mary is full of grace, because she smiled and said yes.

No comments: