Sunday, 10 February 2008

... and so it begins.

Hmm.. how many other people have started their blogs with that title? Probably only the ones who like Babylon 5.

Anyway I've decided to start a blog, I'm not advertising it yet, so when I do and you thousands and thousands of people (Ok in reality Hi sis nice of you drop by.).. umm yeah so when you come here you will notice there are a few blog entries already in existence. I just want to get the swing of things, see how it goes before I release it to the world and get embarrassed.

So why am I blogging? I thought about this a long time. It's not narcissism, it's not a big "look at me!", it's not because I think through my words I can change the world. I think when it boils down to it, I hope it will be fun, and I think I"ll use it to get to say some things I think about but don't get a chance to say elsewhere.

I'll keep it PG-13 - after all my kids could read this - or worse the vicar. ;-) I'm not going to post about work, or people I know, as that (to me) is gossip and just makes the situation worse. Also I'd hate for them to post about me. Do unto others and all that...

I don't know how often I'll post - I am after all the king of procrastinators.

I don't know what I'll be posting about, except that it'll just be stuff I've been thinking about, or find funny. I might post on politics but I'll have to be careful. I'm not too sure but I think as a noncommercial blog I'm safe. The new Electoral Finance Act might make it illegal for me if hypothetically I said something like "Don't Vote for Labour".

On Sundays I'll probably post something theological, Jesus is the centre of my being, and while I at times forget, or try to ignore that fact, it will come out in my day to day posts in side comments or the overall attitude, Sundays though I'll just be blunt with it. Maybe post snippets of old sermons, summerise the sermon that morning (or evening), or maybe something from a book I've been reading.

I'll finish todays post with a bit from an Adrian Plass book. A very wise and funny guy who I have been fortunate enough to see "in concert" twice and have two books autographed by him. One book he signed is called "The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass (aged 37 3/4)" he wrote "To Andrew, Laugh - stay sane!". I hope to keep with that, the darkest times of my life have been when I'd lost the humour. Anyway the name of this blog is from the opening entry of that Sacred Diary, and here it is...


Saturday, December 14th
Fell led to keep a diary. A sort of spiritual log for the benefit of others in the future. Each new divine insight and experience will shine like a beacon in the darkness!
Can't think of anything to put in today.
Still, tomorrow's Sunday. Must be something on a Sunday, surely?

No comments: