Sunday, 10 February 2008

Nutcase on the level of Charles Manson.


Today is Sunday so it's my theological day - lets cut to the chase. I say Jesus is God.

This is not some wishy washy, I want him to be, I'd like him to be or I have faith despite the obvious. It does have an element of faith but it is something reasoned and logical. I'll go into this further on down the track but for today lets hear what Bono has to say. It is a sorta paraphase of what C.S. Lewis said in the 40's in his book Mere Christianity, and I agree with them both.



In the book Bono the guy had this to say to journalist Michka Assayas.


I'd be in big trouble if Karma was going to be finally be my judge....It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for Grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity...

I love the idea of the Sacrificial Lamb. I love the idea that God says 'look, you cretins there are certain results to the way we are, to selfishness and there's mortality as part of your very sinful nature and let's face it, you're not living a very good life are you?' There are consequences to actions. The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death. That's the point. It should keep us humbled. It's not our own good works that get us through the gates of heaven.

The secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: he was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy had a lot to say long the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammed, Buddha or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn't allow you to do that. He doesn't let you off that hook. Christ says: 'No, I'm not saying I' m a teacher, don't call me teacher. I'm not saying I'm a prophet. I'm saying 'I'm the Messiah. I'm saying: 'I am God incarnate' and people say 'no, no please just be a prophet. A prophet we can take. You're a bit eccentric. We've had John the Baptist eating locusts and wild honey. We can handle that. But don't mention the "M" word! Because you know we're gonna have to crucify you. And he goes: 'no, no. I know you're expecting me to come back with an army and set you free from these creeps, but actually I am the Messiah.'

At this point everyone starts staring at their shoes and says 'Oh, my God he's gonna keep saying this.' So what you're left with is: either Christ was who He said He was-the Messiah-or a complete nutcase, I mean, we're talking nutcase on the level of Charles Manson.


Bono, by the way isn't god, but he does sing very well, and I look forward to rocking the gates of heaven with him and the band and the angels when we meet in the world beyond this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fun blog Cap'n - keep it up!

sondance

Andrew said...

Thanks