Tuesday, 19 February 2008

People that peeve me...

Spammers, hackers, virus writers, Nigerian 412 scammers - you know the people. They just make me want to use non PG-13 words to describe them.

Working in the IT industry, which I'm proud of, it bugs me that these people bring down the reputation of that which is my chosen career and interest.

They have taken that which is good and useful and progressing humanity along a bit and have used it for evil. Just for their own interests and profits. "Screw the rest, I'll do what it takes to look after number 1" (and a bucket-load of number ones they are too...)

The reputation of what they do partially rubs off onto me - I get painted with the same brush at times. Most people realise we are different but time has been spent showing me and many other geeks are not like the stereotypical geek. On TV and the movies, the only time you see a guy who knows computers they are somehow always know how to hack into some ones computer system - or they are the bad guy - or both. No ordinary computer support people/users who don't know how to hack - just know how to try to stop it.

Yeah... speaking of stopping it - a lot of my job (and at home!) is taken up with keeping up the security of our network, keeping the spam out, keeping the virus updates working. Making sure people don't do that which leaves us open for attacks. Not to mention the thousands of dollars spent for the software to do these tasks.

rant over....



EDIT: Actually for the nearly the same reasons I also get peeved at most Televangelists

No comments: