Wednesday, 27 February 2008

If I could sing this is one of the ones I'd sing

I might make this a bit of an ongoing series, maybe keep it as song Wednesday like Theology Sunday.

What this post is based around is if I could sing, then what songs would I put in my regular set list.

Today it's with or without you by U2.
I'm not going to post a link to an .mp3 if you want one go buy the album, or song from itunes.

// The Joshua Tree
// With Or Without You

See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side.
I wait for you.
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you

With or without you
With or without you.

Through the storm, we reach the shore
You gave it all but I want more
And I'm waiting for you

With or without you
With or without you.
I can't live with or without you.

And you give yourself away
And you give yourself away
And you give, and you give
And you give yourself away.

My hands are tied, my body bruised
She got me with nothing to win
And nothing else to lose.

And you give yourself away
And you give yourself away
And you give, and you give
And you give yourself away.

With or without you
With or without you
I can't live
With or without you.

With or without you
With or without you
I can't live
With or without you
With or without you.

I'm not precisely sure what it's all about but it is (at the moment) my favourite U2 song. I love it's sound, the infinite loop that The Edge uses on guitar. The passion and pain Bono puts into the vocals.

When I listen to the song I think of a guy who loves a woman but she is not that concerned about him and so it hurts to be near her as she does not return his attentions. It also hurts the man to be away from her as he loves her and wants to be near her but is not.

There is no-one in my life like that right now but there have been a couple over the last decade. It hurt to be away from them because you remember her smile, and the joy in her eyes, the catch of her voice as she said your name and you long to be with her, but then you meet up and she is all "just friends" and then I realise... I can't live With or Without You.

Lyrics and their meaning aside I think I like this song most due to its music. the whole thing builds up to a crescendo that if I could sing this is one of the ones I'd sing.

No comments: